Monday, October 14, 2013

Chickpea Mac & Cheese

We were just joking last night that are house runs on love, laughter, and mac & cheese.  Everyone loves mac & cheese and it always gets gobbled up quickly!  I never hesitate to try a new mac & cheese recipe, especially one with hidden healthy stuff inside! This was my latest dinner creation and we loved it!


Adapted from Current Mom
Ingredients:
• 1 ½ cups pasta (Connor picked out this curly pasta and it worked really well to hold the cheese)
• 1 cup skim milk
• 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
• 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (we used low fat)
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp garlic powder
• 1/8 tsp paprika

Cook pasta in a large pot according to box directions and drain.

While the pasta is cooking, puree the chickpeas in a food processor until smooth.

Pour the pureed chickpeas and milk into a small pot over medium heat.  Stir until smooth (about 2 minutes).

Add the cheese, salt, garlic powder, and paprika and mix well until the cheese melts.

Pour the cooked pasta back into the large pot and pour in the chickpea mixture.

Mix well and serve.


6 comments :

  1. My son loves mac and cheese, I will have to try this and get some other things in there!
    Come link up with me and share!
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea and we always have chickpeas in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love the love, laughter and Mac and cheese saying. Webvall love the mac here as well. I will have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting! I have to give this a try. I also make a butternut squash mac and cheese that is really yummy. Have you tried that out? My daughter loves chickpeas, so she will probably love this. Thanks for sharing!
    Amy
    www.amystebbins.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could so see that being a sign, or something. omg, butternut squash mac and cheese the above commenter said? fall inspired cheesy goodness. yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the fact that something the kids don't eat is mixed in something they love
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails