Monday, December 13, 2010

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

I was looking for a unique dessert idea for our holiday party and this recipe caught me eye. I've never made an upside-down cake before so I was a little nervous, but it turned out amazing! I'm pigging out on the leftovers and I'll be sad when it's gone!

Adapted from Cooking Light, November 2009

Ingredients:
Topping:
• Non-stick cooking spray
• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 8 oz. fresh or frozen, thawed, cranberries (I used fresh)

Cake:
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350°.

For topping, lightly spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Heat brown sugar and 2 tablespoons butter in a small pan over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until butter melts and sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture into cake pan, tilting pan to coat bottom evenly. Arrange cranberries evenly over sugar mixture to cover entire bottom of the pan.

For the cake, mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Pour sugar and 1/2 cup butter in another bowl and mix until well blended and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. (Be sure to save the egg whites for later.) Add in vanilla. Fold flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with milk.

Mix egg whites with a whisk. Add egg whites into the batter. Pour the batter over the cranberries, spreading evenly.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan. When cake has cooled, use a thin spatula to loosen cake from the pan and then invert the cake into a large plate.


Linking up to all these fun parties
Photobucket/

18 comments :

  1. I've never done an upside down cake either and it looks delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy! I love cranberries year 'round! Believe it or not, I actually have made an upsidedown cake. I did! I just took a yellow cake mix and poured it over brown sugar and pineapple. And it turned out! (I'm pretty sure I looked in a cookbook to see what to do with the sugar, now that I think about it;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa this recipe is making me drool. Yum. I'd love it if you linked this up to my Holiday Recipe Link Party. i would love to eat this for breakfast.

    http://leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com/p/holiday-recipe-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks deelish! i'll take a slice! and may i say, much better than pineapple upside down cake, which i really don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that in CL, but believe it or not, I've never cooked with real cranberries before! Looks delicious - it definitely has a Wow factor on how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, the cake looks beautiful and sounds delicious. I LOVE the fact that it is a Cooking Light recipe. I need to stick with things on the lighter side, especially at this time of year. I look forward to trying the recipe. Happy Holidays! Warmest wishes, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness I've never had it this way it looks fab! Thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. Thanks for sharing. I clicked your link to Cooking Light also and thought I'd let you know that their site says it was in the November 2009 issue and not the 2006 one that you show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness... I can't wait to make this! Thanks so much for sharing! I just started a link party on Wednesdays called Waking Wednesdays, and I'd love for you to share! ~ Megan from Wakinglucia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa,
    Your cake looks wonderful, and very festive. Thank you for sharing your recipe and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I featured your awesome tutorial here: http://vanessascraftynest.blogspot.com/2010/12/diy-roundup.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness I HAVE to make this!! I'm sure mine will not look as good though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Come join me for Merry Merry Munchies and a giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband made your cake last night for a potluck, and it was a huge hit. So delicious and easy! The cranberries glisten like little Christmas baubles! Thanks again for the great recipe. I'll be directing my FB fans your way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa, I blogged about the fact that we made and LOVED your recipe. I didn't post your recipe, of course, just directed everyone to your post to get it. I hope it brings some good traffic and new fans and followers your way! Warmest wishes, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I featured your cake on my blog today. Thanks for linking up to the holiday recipe party.

    http://leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com/2010/12/holiday-recipe-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails