Yes, that's right, I said LIGHT mac & cheese. Who doesn't love this food? But it can be REALLY bad for you so I'm always looking for healthier ways to make it.
Adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes
• 16 oz elbow pasta
• 2 tbsp light butter
• 1/4 cup flour
• 1/2 cup minced onion (or onion powder)
• 2 cups skim milk
• 1 cup fat free chicken broth
• 8 oz low fat mild cheddar cheese
• salt and pepper (I suggest lots for flavor)
• 4 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
• 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
• non-stick cooking spray
Scroll down for the instructions...
Cook pasta in salted water according to directions on box.
Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375°.
In a large skillet, melt butter. Add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk.
Add onion and cook another 2 minutes.
Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and thicker.
Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Add cooked macaroni and baby spinach.
Pour mixture into baking dish. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.