Thursday, March 3, 2011

DIY Throw Pillow to Chair Cushion

DSC01714

Some of you asked about the pillow cushion on the chair makeover I did recently. I wanted to share how I made it.

DSC01517

I bought this really cute & fun bedding for the craft room to use on our two guest beds. I also bought some different throw pillows since they were such a good price. I didn't end up liking how the twin bed looked with so many pillows so I had a couple extras. It took a little trial & error, but I was able to take apart the throw pillow and resize it to fit my chair. Here's how you can resize a large throw pillow to create a pillow cushion...

DSC01523
The throw pillow was larger than the chair, so I had to use a seam ripper to carefully take the pillow apart.

DSC01521
I took out some of the stuffing to make the pillow flatter and easier to sit on.

DSC01527
Then I resized the pillow to the size of the chair, pinned the sides of the cushion, and hand-sewed it closed.

DSC01537
I pinned the trim around the edge that I took off earlier.

DSC01530
To make the chair ties, I cut 4 strips of fabric.

DSC01532
To create each strip, I folded each edge towards the middle, pinned, and ironed the creases. Then I folded again and pressed to hide the unfinished edges.

DSC01553
A simple straight stitch closed the folds and finished the ends. Then I attached the ties to the pillow trim and hand-sewed everything closed.

DSC01554
For the cushion buttons, I bought a button cover kit and followed the package directions.

DSC01557
I marked the center of the pillow on both the top and the bottom and sewed them on.

DSC01653

DSC01652
Here are the finished ties on the chair.

DSC01712
I was so scared to do this project without any idea what I was doing, but I'm so happy with how it came out!

21 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness that cushion looks so comfy! I need some of these on my kitchen table- this is definately easier than sewing them from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cushion is adorable and the detail is amazing! thanks for stopping by my blog! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, that could NOT be any cuter. You did such a good job. It's is precious. I love that striped fabric. So stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so ridiculously jealous right now. of that cute pillow, of your ability to make said cute pillow. love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with the fabric you used!

    http://decoratingdiy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is this!! I am loving your blog, i am going to have to follow you now!!:) Thanks for visiting my blog so I could find you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this cushion idea! I might just have to use this idea to make two cushions for the kitchen stools!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual you always rock the DIY, I so need to have you come here :).

    P.S. Oh girl 9p is hard for me too, I am the DVR queen :) set it and watch it the next am. Hope your having a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the stripes and colors on this! And it looks so cozy! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight - http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great transformation - love the colors and those stripes - great save. I need to make some of those - I have the most awfully uncomfortable chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a gorgeous pillow and it looks so comfy! I found you on The Girl Creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so cozy! Will you make me one??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, what a great transformation! I love the trim and all the details! Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  14. seriously adorable! Almost makes me want to start sewing again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work! I'm not in touch with my craft gene. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I should really make one of these, yours is adorable! Im a new follwer, I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea repurposing the bed pillow! Love the stripes and colors. I'm visiting from Tip Junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! That was really a great idea of yours. Thanks so much for coming over to Dining With Debbie. I hope you will come often.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails