Saturday, December 12, 2009

Yummy Pecan Pie

I have to confess that I never had pecan pie until a few years ago. But once I tried it, I was hooked! It's a special treat we only have a couple times a year at holidays so we decided it was time to try to make our own (thanks to Martha). I was a little intimidated because it looks difficult, but it really wasn't too bad! It turned out to be delicious and I got tons of compliments!

Pecan Pie

Ingredients:

(Makes one 9-inch pie)

  • Frozen store-bought pastry shell (or make your own if you're up to it)
  • 2 1/2 cups pecan halves (half of these will need to be chopped)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup dark corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Whipped cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using a homemade pastry shell, lightly dust a clean work surface with flour, and roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit circle into a 9-inch pie plate being careful not to stretch dough too thin; create edges of choice. Transfer to freezer until firm, about 15 minutes.

If you're using a store-bought frozen pastry shell like I did, follow the directions on the package.


Coarsely chop 1 1/4 cups pecans. I used the blender to chop them and it worked really well.


In a medium bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Whisk to combine. Add corn syrups and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.


Add chopped pecans and stir.


Pour into prepared crust.
Arrange remaining 1 1/4 cups pecan halves decoratively on top of pie. You can do this the easy way and just place them on top randomly. Or make a pretty design like I did : )

Bake until crust is golden, filling is firm, and a cake tester inserted in center of pie comes out clean; 50 to 55 minutes. Cool completely before slicing. Serve with whipped cream.

And here's the pie on the Hanukkah dessert table waiting to be devoured.

Yum! A second slice please!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails