Sunday, March 28, 2010

Passover Chocolate Pecan Coconut Macaroons


Don't these look amazing? That's because they are!


Work has taken over my life, so I was only able to make one Passover recipe so far. Also see this post for another really yummy Passover apple cake recipe that I made last year.

Anyway, macaroons are something I look forward to every year on Passover. Until recently, I never knew that macaroons were not just Jewish thing. According to Wikipedia, "The English word macaroon and French macaron come from the Italian maccarone or maccherone. This word is itself derived from ammaccare, meaning crush or beat, used here in reference to the almond paste which is the principal ingredient."

So while these have a small amount of matzah meal in them, they taste great and they can really be made any time of year.


(Recipe adapted from Cooking Light)
Yield: 24 cookies

Ingredients:
• 2 1/4 c powdered sugar
• 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
• 1/2 c shredded coconut
• 2 T matzo meal (can be replaced with cracker crumbs or ground oats if you don't want the Passover version)
• 1/8 t salt
• 3 egg whites
• 1 t vanilla
• 3/4 c chopped pecans

Preheat over to 325.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a whisk.

If pecans needs to be chopped, I usually put them in a baggie and use a meat pounder to crush them.

In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. I have recently learned from a chef that this step makes a huge difference. The more frothy and thick, the better the macaroons will come out. You should be tired and sweaty once you're done with this step.

Add the eggs to the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Add vanilla and pecans and mix well.

Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then scoop out 1 T for each cookie and place about an inch apart on the cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies are dry on the surface and soft inside.

Mmmmm...enjoy! I can't wait to serve them tomorrow!

3 comments :

  1. Wow, so yummy looking! Thank you for sharing and bringing your hodgepodge to my party. I love seeing what you are up to. Hope to see you again.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know that I featured you on my blog! Grab the button!
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails