Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Renovation Setbacks - annoying, but humorous

Remember how we started my family room reno 6 months ago? I didn't share all the bad because I try really hard to be positive on here. Let's just say it's been taking a LOT longer than we originally planned.

Everyone that has done a large reno knows how it goes:
• everything that can go wrong will go wrong...plus more!
• it will cost you way more than you ever thought
• it will take longer than you planned
• you feel the hardware store is your home away from home
• you get so sick of it that you give up for a couple weeks...or months!

In honor of how much renovations can suck, I'd like to show you some of the negatives we have experienced...



This little corner...
This DARN corner...
Just cutting the crown for this stupid corner took 3 weeks, numerous screaming matches, a hammer thrown at a ladder, and a lot of frustrated tears.


See this lovely window? Oh wait, don't forget to check out the crack in the window. Let's just say that if you weren't aware that the window hardware had to be screwed on at an angle, you will crack your window. We now have 2 windows that need to be replaced.

See that door that's almost closed? That's our basement door. Let's just say someone got a little frustrated one day and punched a hole in it. Luckily, it was already patched when I woke up in the morning.

This is our hearth while we tiled it. Too bad I didn't like how it looked, so we had to pull up ALL the tile and start again. Oh and don't forget how the store was out of our tile so I had to drive to 3 other ones to find enough pieces to finish.

See our ugly bookcase in this picture?
Do you know how many coats of paint it takes to cover that nastiness? SIX!

That was actually a lot of fun to look back and see all the crap we had to go through to get to this point. I hope you enjoy laughing at us!

Anyway, we are now at the point where we are *almost* done. The new buffet we ordered is coming in in about 7 weeks. The electrical just needed to be finished up by a family member. And I've been working on filling the giant bookcase so the room isn't so empty.


I'm sure a lot of you can add to this list and feel free to leave a comment tell me how much your reno is stressing you out. I can relate!


This is an entry for PartSelect’s $5000 GE Giveaway contest.

4 comments :

  1. Personally it's the NON-reno taking place in our house! I'm so excited to start another room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your pain. I've been through several remodels and have sworn (except for minor renos) the next time we need to do something, we're just going to move house instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I wish I could agree with how frustrating renos are BUT I'm stuck in an apartment with little storage room so at least you have something to look forward to (once the renovation is done) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa - I hope your room has no more mishaps. Just know you are not alone, I have many renovation nightmares. Now I can laugh at them, but when I was going through them , it wasn't too funny. Anyway I wanted to tell you that you won the Day 6 giveaway of My Six Days of Spring Series of Posts. I just need your mailing address and I will get the earrings and stylish rubber gloves mailed out to you. Thanks. You can email me at: inmyownstyle at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails