Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chicken Couscous Salad



I'm always looking for easy, healthy recipes I can make on the weekends. Then I can just heat up leftovers during the week when I'm tired after work. I came across this recipe (adapted from Cooking Light) and thought it would be perfect for a few dinners last week.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1.5 cups)

Ingredients:

Salad:
  • 1 1/4 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
  • 5.7 oz. box uncooked couscous
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 c chopped red onion
  • 1 cup diced cucumber
  • 1/4 t dried parsley
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts
  • 1/2 crumbled feta
  • 1 T lemon juice

    Dressing:
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 T olive oil
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/8 t fresh ground pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions:
1. Boil chicken broth in a medium saucepan.

2. Once boiling, gradually stir in couscous. Remove pot from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

3. Pour couscous into a large bowl and let it cool. Add chicken, feta, onions, cucumber, parsley, and pine nuts and mix well to combine.
4. To prepare dressing, mix all dressing ingredients listed above in a small bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss to combine.
*Optional: You can toast pine nuts quickly in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Stir frequently, and as soon as they become fragrant, remove the nuts from the pan.

As I said, great leftover or for a quick snack!


Linking up to:
Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays
It's a Blog Party
Tuesday Night Supper Club

HappyDay

7 comments :

  1. Oh YUM! This looks SO delish, Lisa! I LOVE couscous -- so I will definitely have to try this. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a perfect quick and easy dish...i am a couscous fan...but normally only make it as a side dish...i love the idea of tossing it with a bit of chicken and turning it into a healthy meal. my mouth is watering just thinking about it! thank you for linking up to TNSC

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious! I'm bookmarking it so I can try it out. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just telling a friend I had never tried couscous. Your recipe looks great= makes me want to try it asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have all the ingredients for this, I might just make this, this weekend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi... I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails