Monday, August 16, 2010

Healthy Spinach Calzones

A super yummy & easy dinner!
(adapted from this blog)

Makes 2 large calzones
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb pizza dough (You can buy it frozen or make it yourself - I used a mix)
  • 1 10 oz frozen package of spinach (be sure to defrost before starting)
  • 1/2 cup fat free Ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 1 t basil
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 4 oz mozzarella cheese
  • Sauce for dipping (marinara or garlic butter are both great)

Preheat the oven to 425.

Separate the dough into two balls. Stretch and roll out the dough with a rolling pin.

Drain any excess water from the defrosted spinach and put in a large bowl. Mix in the ricotta, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, salt and mozzarella cheese.

Pour half the mixture on each piece of rolled-out dough. Fold over the edges of the dough and seal the edges. Then pierce the top with a knife a few times.

Put calzones on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for about 20 minutes until crust is firm.

Serve with dipping sauce such as marinara or garlic butter.

For a quick garlic butter sauce, melt some butter in a pan under low heat. Mix in minced garlic or garlic powder. If you want a golden, tasty crust on the calzones, brush on dough when they have 10 minutes left to bake. Or use garlic butter as a dipping sauce for serving.

Yum! I'm definitely making these again soon!




The Girl Creative

Beauty and Bedlam
Tuesday Night Supper Club
Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays
It's a Blog Party
HappyDay

8 comments :

  1. this looks delicious, and i think even i could do this...except i realized i don't even own a rolling pin. nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spinach! We are going to have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks delicious...and i have some leftover spinach from last night's dinner---this is definitely going to be our lunch today! thanks for linking up to TNSC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...this sounds positively delicious! I love spinach and am always looking for healthy twists on favorite dishes like calzone! So glad I stopped by from Fudge Ripple's Tuesday Supper Club and became your newest follower! Best, Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so YUM!! And that dresser remake is fab! I see you live in Arligton Heights--I went to school at Lewis Unv in Romeoville...hahaha small world! I LOVEEEEE the burbs of Chicago, I miss my peeps there. Some live in AH, Oak Park, Downers Grove, and Joliet. Ahhh now I'm homesick! I'm following you, thanks for stopping by my blog too btw. :o) peace out
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my...I looove spinach!! These would be oh so tasty! Thank you for sharing and hope to see you at the party on Friday at FFD :D
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails