Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pretty Dresser Makeover

Meet ugly brown dresser. This dresser has been through a lot since I've known it for the past 8 years. During the summer when my sister was in college, we saw this dresser sitting on the curb across the street. She thought it would be perfect for her first apartment in college, so she grabbed it from the neighbor. Turns out it was a really nice dresser and very good quality, but just a little ugly. So she used it in college and then brought it home and used it in her bedroom in my parents' house.

Then when she moved out, my parents put the ugly dresser in the garage. There it sat all sad and lonely for 2 years. After some convincing, they made me take the ugly dresser for my guest room/craft room. Well, I was sick of seeing it looking so ugly, so it got a fabulous makeover!

First, we added 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of white paint. For the detailed top drawer, we used white spray paint and then did a final coat with a paint brush.

I planned to buy new drawer pulls for the drawers, but this turned out to be a much bigger ordeal than I ever thought. The size was really hard to find and I couldn't find even one pull that would fit right.
I figured I would try spray panting the pulls just to see how they would look. If I didn't like them, I'd come up with a new solution. Luckily, I really liked how they turned out. The silver looks much fresher and more modern and I don't mind the detailing as much.


So now we remember the ugly old dresser before...

And it's new, pretty transformation!
Glamorous and happy dresser : )

Linking up to:
Works for Me Wednesday
giveaways
Show and Tell Green




Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden
CreativeShareWednesdays






18 comments :

  1. Wow, Lisa!! This is absolutely fantastic! Amazing how a new paint color brings out all of the beautiful details - even the hardware looks super chic!

    You're about to transform your sister into a new shade of green : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!

    The white really brings out the detailing and makes it pop! I love the old drawer pulls in their new color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Love what mle said about your sis! LOL! I'm afraid she's going to be sad she gave up that gem!
    It's definitely glamorous and happy now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it! I love the hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH! LOVE this dresser, Lisa! Those details are amazing -- and I love the hardware! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a lovely dresser now and I am sure much happier! The white with the silver hardware is so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really pretty. Love the white with silver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from Sew Much Ado party! Love how this turned out. I did something similar with a triple dresser. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the makeover! Very shabby chic ;) I'm visiting from Someday crafts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! That's gorgeous, a complete transformation!!
    Visiting from justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a difference!

    This is a very inspiring post! I'm going to have to walk through the thrift shop with a more open mind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! For future projects if you can't find a pull that fits, just fill the holes with some wood filler let dry and sand it and you can use any size pull you want!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny how something as simple as paint can change your world. In the words of Patrick (from Spongebob), "Your dresser is NOT ugly!"

    ~Misti

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this dresser in your latest post from your craft room and had to scroll back and see if it was a project you had completed. Great detailing...wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dresser looks fabulous! So amazing what a little paint can do. Does your sister want the dresser back?!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome job you did. I love it in white! -Your newest follower

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails