Friday, August 6, 2010

Coffee Cup Flower Pot Tutorial

Let me start off by saying I've NEVER done a floral craft project before. I worked at Michaels in high school and pretended I knew what I was talking about, but I just learned from the floral artists that worked there. Ever since then, I've wanted to try something simple and this was the perfect chance for me to try out my skills.

I recently saw a blog post where someone used a giant cup to plant real flowers and this idea instantly popped into my head. I had a giant coffee cup in the basement in the donate box! This cup has been through a lot as it was passed down to me by my aunt and then I used it in my bedroom to hold my change when I was in high school and college. It's been sitting in a box for probably 6 years.
Since I have a black thumb, I figured fake plants would be easier for me to maintain. I started out by filling the cup with some floral foam.
Then I added some moss to cover the foam and add texture. What a mess!
I bought 2 bouquets of flowers and chopped off the ends so each stem was separate.
Then I slowly arrange the flowers and bent the wire stems to get the look I wanted.
SO easy and it hardly took any time to make!

Plus, this project was super cheap.
I bought all my supplies at dollar stores so the entire project cost me $4!

New Friend Fridays

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating






Photobucket




Frugalicious Friday

11 comments :

  1. Hello there! Just stopping by from NFF. What a lovely tutorial!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful! Great job!

    (visiting from nff)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just visiting from new friend friday. Our blogs are similar in the fact that we are doing our best to get out and enjoy our lives. I like your coffee cup design, I may have to give it a try.
    Thanks for posting:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how cute! That is an absolutely adorable idea!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's adorable! Think I could achieve the same effect with real flowers? I'm no good at stuff like that. Would I have to soak the foam first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog Lisa Oh and I love that your cats name is Kitty! Cute flowers =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply gorgeous! Love the contrast between the simple utilitarian cup and the lovely flowers. Yummy, you clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute. I'm following you from New Friend Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from New Friend Friday,very nice post

    http://www.baygirl32.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa this is really cute. I have flower arranging on my list of things to learn. That and cake decorating! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I love the colors of the flower you used!

    Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails