Friday, August 20, 2010

Freshing Watermelon Salad

It's almost the end of summer, but we can still enjoy some of the fresh summer fruits available for a little longer. I came across this recipe and it looked interesting. I have to admit that it seemed like an odd combination of ingredients, but it turned out to have an amazing flavor!

Ingredients:
• small watermelon
• 1/2 medium-sized sweet onion
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
• salt & pepper
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
• 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese

Cut the watermelon into bite size pieces.

Peel and dice half the onion into small pieces.

In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Add the mint and mix well.

In a large serving bowl, add the watermelon, onion and feta cheese. Pour oil mixture over the fruit and mix gently.

Be sure to prepare right before serving as the watermelon will make the salad watery if it sits too long.



So yummy! And a great healthy snack!


  Chic on a Shoestring Decorating





Photobucket
504 Main





New Friend Fridays

10 comments :

  1. Would you believe I JUST cut into a huge watermelon last night?! I thought I needed it for something then I didn't after all - so this recipe will be perfect to try! Thanks
    happy friday : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorites too. I just recently had a version of this with spinach, pinenuts, and goatcheese. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! I am dropping by from New Friends Friday over at The Girl Creative. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I bet the mint is such a great flavor in this salad. Thanks for posting and have a great weekend!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had this! It sounds so different! Not flavors that I would think would go with watermelon, but I'm sure it's good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Hopped here from 504 Main!) That picture looks mouthwatering! I don't have any watermelon (fresh tomatoes from the garden...but, I don't think it would be the same! :>), so can I come for dinner? :> Have a fantastic weekend! :>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came from 504 Main also.
    I just discovered this GREAT salad this summer. I think I've enjoyed it more than you LOL
    My friends and family are in LOVE with it also. I think I got this recipe from Paula Deen? I think.
    Your pics capture it just perfectly.
    Nice to meet you Lisa.
    Love Claudie from Canada
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so intrigued. It sounds delicious. I have a watermelon in the kitchen - may have to try it...I think my kids will even eat it! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You right, this sounds very interesting. I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails