Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pretty Felt Heart Wreath

If you're into craft blogs, I'm sure you've seen this heart wreath all over this year. It's all the rage in the blog world for Valentine's Day 2011! My friend Christina at Finally Mom asked me to make her one and then a couple more friends requested one as well. How can I say no to my girls? Plus, they're super cute!

I used the tutorial from The Idea Room with a couple adjustments. It took 4 stores, but I bought out all the heart wreaths at the craft stores nearby.

Since the felt pieces will only cover the front of the heart, I spray painted the back side red. It looks a lot better than the white foam sticking out on the sides.
A yard of fabric was enough for me to make 3 full wreaths, so you only need about 1/3 of a yard for one wreath. I used a mug to trace circles on the felt. The diameter of the circles was about 2.5 inches.

How many circles do you need? Lucky you! I counted! I used between 100-115 per wreath. You can always add more, but I think 100 fills it pretty well.

I'd suggest sitting down to watch some tv while you do this because it can be a little monotonous. It works well to switch off between tracing circles and cutting so your hand doesn't get too sore from all the cutting!Once all the circles are cut, I took each circle and folded it in half. Then I folded it in half again so it becomes a little wedge.
Using a small pin, I inserted it into the corner of the wedge and then into the wreath. I didn't see any other blogs mention this, but I would suggest buying some dressmaker pins that are a little shorter than the standard size. The longer ones might poke out on the back and scratch your door.
Just keep folding and pinning as you go around the wreath. There's so special tip or pattern to doing this. You just adjust and place them as you want.
Once the wreath was completely covered in felt, I turned it over to add a hanging string. I took some red ribbon and tied a knot at one end. Using a few pins, I attached the ribbon to the back.
I love it! It's so pretty on the white door and it's perfect for Valentine's Day!
Some of my other ideas for future wreaths that I may try:
• glitter felt
• using multiple colors for one wreath (red, pink, white)
• adding little accessories like pearls, candy hearts, etc

Happy Valentine's Day!


31 comments :

  1. This is SO cute, Lisa! I love it! I would love to put one on my front door, too! :) You're so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this - beautiful!

    threesisterz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa!! They turned out WONDERFULLY AWESOME!! I'm SOOOO excited!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so pretty. I love Valentine's Day. I make the whole of February Love day in my house.
    I never made a wreath for it. Maybe it's time to get rid of my winter one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! what a gorgeous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is such a fabulous project Lisa! What lucky friends you have!! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I am working on one with my felt roses, and it is taking forever!

    Malory

    http://snips-and-spice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is VERY cute - I don't really decorate for Valentine's , but this might make me change my mind!

    Thanks for you sweet comment on my bathroom decor! You and I sound like we have a lot in common :)

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how this came out! Thanks for linking up again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I am obsessed with felt for crafts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that heart. So festive for Valentines (= Time is already flying by isn't it. Whoah.
    Happy early Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE those! They are so super cute and I've been wanting one for my front door. It would look so good against my black door! I haven't had time to do it though. You sure are a sweet friend to get this done for your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the wreath. I think I could actually do that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy your blog and wanted to award you the Stylish Blogger Award! You can check it out here http://kim-thislittlelifeofmine.blogspot.com/2011/01/multiples-make-me-happy-girl.html and participate if you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooo! Look at that! I'm a little jealous! How bout you come decorate my door next!
    -CK

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently made a felt wreath, it's such a fun and easy project! I love how you made it on heart shaped wreaths! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is darling! I really need to make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I love it!

    Would love for you to come link up:
    http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2011/01/tuesday-glam-party-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute Lisa, Love the colour of your wreath very much such a beautiful red shade... very lovely...
    Hope you would like to spare a little bit of your time for me sure you will enjoy
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is super cute! :) I'm enjoying all the valentine's crafts out there! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute! I have V-day decor ideas in my head...guess if I'm going to make it happen I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this wreath. So pretty. Great creativity.

    Oh, and don't wait for a little one to go to Disney. Hubby and I went without kids too and we felt like kids ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so cute. I have absolutely nothing for Valentines decor. I need to get crackin'. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's gorgeous! I have a "soft" spot for things made with felt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is beautiful! I made a balloon wreath this year, and I thought that was easy. this looks almost just as easy... which is perfect for me! You should come link up with Fun for Kids Friday on my blog http://www.localfunforkids.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is really adorable!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Adorable, sweet & easy to create! Classic! I love the way it "pops" against the white door! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails