Friday, September 10, 2010

Savory Fish Tacos with Tomato Salsa

Fish tacos sounded PERFECT last weekend and I've always wanted to try them. Hubby is a huge Bobby Flay fan, so I found one of his recipes that I adapted. I'll warn you that this recipe is a little time-consuming, but the end result is worth it!

Ingredients:
Tacos:
• 1 pound mahi mahi
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1 tablespoons chili powder
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 jalopeno chopped (optional - I didn't use any)
• 8 flour tortillas

Garnish:
• Shredded white cabbage
• Hot sauce
• Sour cream
• Thinly sliced red onion
• Thinly sliced green onion
• Chopped cilantro leaves
• Tomato Salsa, recipe follows

Preheat grill to medium-high heat (we used the George Forman). Place fish in a medium size dish. Mix together the oil, lime juice, chili powder, jalapeno, and cilantro and pour over the fish. Let marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove the fish from the marinade and place onto a hot grill, flesh side down. Grill the fish for 4 minutes on the first side and then flip for 30 seconds and remove. Let rest for 5 minutes then flake the fish with a fork.

Divide the fish among the tortillas and garnish with any or all of the garnishes.


Tomato Salsa

Ingredients:
• salt & pepper
• 2 T olive oil
• 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
• 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
• 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional if you want a spicy salsa)
• 1 T oregano
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add tomatoes and jalapeno and cook until tomatoes are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Add the oregano and cilantro and season with salt and pepper.


SO good and we'll definitely be making this again!
Enjoy!




New Friend Fridays
504 Main

Photobucket

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Tidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays

9 comments :

  1. That looks so yummy! I love fish tacos. Just popped by from Friendly Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! found you thru new friend friday! the fish tacos look amazing. also, congrats on your first 5k! that's so exciting. you will find yourself addicted now!!! have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks deelish and refreshing! a nice change.

    thanks for weighing in on my fireplace debate-i am really suprised to hear that you don't use it in the windy city! i would think for sure you would. i agree, i like when the tv and fireplace are one focal point and the hard thing is we can't do that b/c of a little window. i can't decide if that means we should skip it, but i know i would like to cocoon myself with a blanket, a book, and a fire. well, let's not forget a glass of wine. doesn't that sound nice?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you on New Friend Friday! My Facebook fan page, “Inspire!” has quotes, poems and stories to inspire you. I’d like to invite you to stop by!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inspire/338562522284?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting me today! I am now following you and would love if you follow me back if you haven't done so already!

    Have a great weekend!!

    Java

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking tacos! Thanks for linking up last week for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fish tacos...but have never made them myself. Thanks for the recipe - my kiddos love them too - guess I have no excuses for not making them now!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails